Has to be mentioned that Fluke provides its own software to communicate with the DMMs: FlukeView Forms. Nevertheless due to simplicity of the interface connection can be easily controlled from available in Windows HyperTerminal, for example, or from a simple custom program or script. The detailed list of commands and parameters of the communication protocol can be found here.
To set it up:
- Install drivers for corresponding operating system. FTDI USB chip is used in the cable, a corresponding driver is available for downloading from here.
- Connect a Fluke 189/289 to a computer USB port.
- Check what port number was assigned for the Fluke multimeter: Start/MyComputer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Ports
- Open a serial terminal program, for example, Hyperterminal in Windows, choose the port and setup parameters of the connection as 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
- Send commands and read responses:
Reading a currently measured value is done by sending out Query Measurement "QM" command. Identification "ID" command can be used to find automatically that port which Fluke DMM was assigned to.
So,
ReplyDeleteI have Fluke 289 and I don't see any text from multimeter. I'm trying with your settings and from this doc: http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/140/40444/1/remote_spec28X.doc.
I think my connection is OK, because I can read data from fuke by FlukeView Forms.
Hi, sorry, I'm traveling right now and cannot respond quickly.
ReplyDeleteI had the communication working with 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit - that's by sure. I used Fluke 289 too - I don't remember any problems. Here are the settings in Python:
s = serial.Serial(i, baudrate=9600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=1, xonxoff=0, rtscts=0, dsrdtr=0)
Hyperterminal is easier to start with, but
You may need to play with handshake parameter (NONE should be OK).