Has to be mentioned that Fluke provides its own software to communicate with the DMMs: FlukeView Forms. Nevertheless due to simplicity of the interface connection can be easily controlled from available in Windows HyperTerminal, for example, or from a simple custom program or script. The detailed list of commands and parameters of the communication protocol can be found here.
To set it up:
- Install drivers for corresponding operating system. FTDI USB chip is used in the cable, a corresponding driver is available for downloading from here.
- Connect a Fluke 189/289 to a computer USB port.
- Check what port number was assigned for the Fluke multimeter: Start/MyComputer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Ports
- Open a serial terminal program, for example, Hyperterminal in Windows, choose the port and setup parameters of the connection as 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
- Send commands and read responses:
Reading a currently measured value is done by sending out Query Measurement "QM" command. Identification "ID" command can be used to find automatically that port which Fluke DMM was assigned to.